Thursday 24 March 2016

Monologue

I did this monologue based on a picture of a rather confused looking older man, who was staring directly into the camera. My writing tutor Mollie, challenged us as a group to write a monologue inspired by the person, and this is what I came up with. 
The thing staring back at me, takes me aback. Darkness seeps into the heavy lines beneath my eyes, the passage of years I have not allowed myself to feel spilling effortlessly across my skin.
Fingers come up slowly, the person staring back, mimicking my tentative exploration of the neatly clipped beard covering my chin.
When did the chestnut I was so proud of, turn into this murky non descript grey?
Did no one think that I would notice? I know that they have been keeping some things back from me, the shadows that have kept me captive for the last thirty years, have enabled me to hear the unspoken words in the silence.
I reach further up, the edges of my fingernails clacking against plastic, and return them to the case.
I shouldn't have gone to Specsavers.

No comments:

Post a Comment